Learn More About Me

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Running.

This is a post to tell you that I run now. Before I get into all that, I want you to know that I still lift. Four days a week. I'm not a "one or the other" gym goer. Lifting and being beasty is important to me, so while I am running, it is just replacing my lower impact cardio with a higher intensity exercise.

I may have even written in my "Healthy Living" tab that I hate running. Because I do. Running was invented by the devil. The devil.

Last Saturday, Ingrid (@ingrid283 on Twitter. Follow her. She's funny. And friends with the devil because she made me run 48 miles this morning.) and I went outside to use the trails at our Y because it was unseasonably warm. She said that we would run one minute, walk one minute. Did I tell you that she's bossy? She is.

So I thought I was going to die.

I've never ran before, really. I've done a few minutes here and there on the treadmill, but this was outside running. I quickly found out that it was much harder. While I'm gasping for my last breath, Ingrid is talking her freaking head off. I would have told her to shut up, but I was completely incapable of forming words. It was awful. I hate, hate, hated it. I swore she was making me run for longer that one minute, and my breaks were shorter than one minute. She swore she wasn't and even told me she wasn't trying to be bossy (HA!). And when we were done, I was exhausted. But you know what, it felt good. It was the same exhausted that I felt after powerlifting. It was an accomplished exhausted feeling. I pushed myself (okay, Ingrid totally pushed me) and I accomplished what I thought my body was incapable of. I woke up Sunday morning and couldn't wait to do it again. (who AM I? I never think things like that).

So we did it again on Sunday. Again, I thought I was going to die, but kept going. And when we were done, it was wonderful.

After our run on Sunday, I noticed that my hip was bothering me a lot. Joshua is finishing up his degree in physical therapy assisting, so I had him give me his opinion of what might be going on. He said he thinks that I may just have irritated an muscle from running and to give it some rest. This morning we ran, and when we were stretching I discovered a stretch that really, really made me hip feel better. I shared that with Josh when I got home and he said that I was stretching my piriformus. Or the red muscle in the photo. My left hip hurt the first few days of the week, and when it stopped, it switched to my right hip. I'm hoping that giving it rest will help and I'll eventually get used to it.
 Source

Allison: I had Josh check my gait, and he said I have a normal gait.

I got a new pair of running shoes this week. I have always loved Nike. The last time I needed shoes I thought that I should try a different brand to see if I only loved Nike because of some brand name secret obsession I may have. I've never tried any other brands, so I wondered if there was a better shoe out there for me. I got Asics, and honestly, I was less than in love. I went back to Nike for this pair, and I'm really happy that I went back. They fit my feet so well.
 Source

So, I'm on the running bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I'm slow. Ask my boss. He made fun of me for being slow. Idiot. The great thing is that I have 17 bosses, so if you happen to be my boss, and you're reading this, I'm definitely not talking about you. I'm talking about a different boss of mine. Anyway, as much as I hate to say it, I like running. It's a huge challenge for me. It's different.
Source

Do you run?

Are you hardcore like this weight lifting six-year-old?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS