Learn More About Me

Friday, April 27, 2012

Coping With the Cast

I need to talk to you all about something.

Something very serious, and personal.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you were without your workout partner? A place where you felt all alone, with no one to turn to on the treadmill except that super bouncy guy, or the marathon girl who doesn't even have fat in her gums? Let me tell you, I have, and it is a very dark, unhappy place.

Ingrid and I were running two weeks ago, and long story short, this happened.
Toe nail color: Ruby Pumps by China Glaze
 
Long story long, we were running up the rugged sides of a Himalayan Mountain. Everest to be exact. We ran into a little trouble with a bus full of nationals who hate Americans and tried to hit us. My American status is challenged by many, but these people didn't even ask. Ingrid was so brave and pushed me out of the way, but in the process she broke her heel, sprained her ankle, and taught the ground a good hard lesson. "Don't mess with Ingrid" was that lesson.

But you know what she did? She did what any other crazy person would do, she kept going. And when we were done, we got back to our cars, celebrated our accomplishment, and I ate chocolate. Ingrid however, went to the hospital the next day where they didn't tell her that her foot was broken. They told her she needed to get back to America where she belongs. And that they didn't appreciate her being so tall.

You may be asking, why her cast goes to her knee if she broke her heel. I'm still asking that myself. All I can say is that the doctor knew she is a beast and they're trying to keep her down. Won't let her be great.

Anywho, this story is about me, as all stories on this blog are. This mishap has put a huge kink in my workouts. I don't have anyone being all bossypants on me. No one to talk to about everything (including, but not limited to: sweat, clothes, nail polish, calves, arms, legs, running, hair, nail polish, work, cake, stretching, ice cream, running, cookies, Weight Watchers, eating less cake, babies, periods, phone apps, other people working out, and so on) and I do mean everything. I'm on my own now. And it is scary.

I'm actually writing a book about facing the scary place that is the gym on your own. I realize I've become completely dependent on having a workout partner, and I know there have to be others out there with the same problem I have. Feelings of abandonment, uselessness, aimless wandering, no one to share your funny jokes with, missing the apps on your partner's phone that keep track of what you're doing, and worst of all, not even being able to roll around on the mats "stretching" without crying a few tears for what used to be.

So anyway, I feel like I've gotten off point. I'm starting a support group called "Fit Without Partners" and my book is called "How to Cope with Being Alone After a Catastrophic Mountain Climbing Accident Takes Out Your Partner" (Look for it on Amazon.com).

And now I'm going to wrap up my story by saying:

Don't believe anything you just read except that her nail color is Ruby Pumps by China Glaze.

That is all.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS